Senior Data Scientist, Lifecycle Analytics
- New York, NY
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Data Scientists on the Lifecycle Analytics team at Block collaborate with product teams and partners, applying engineering, analytics, and machine learning to empower data-driven decisions. This team leads experimentation and growth projects, develop automation solutions to personalize product experiences, provide insights to our sellers about their business, and lead strategic decisions with data. Block's mission is economic empowerment, and our team supports this by using data to understand and empathize with our customers, thereby allowing us to build a remarkable product experience.
The Lifecycle product team is responsible for building and optimizing several core experiences: Square's public website, onboarding flows, Support Center, and the Square Dashboard tool. These surface areas serve as the face of the company, and are among the first impressions for many customers. The product team focuses on platform tools that have outsized benefits and help other teams at Square to iterate faster. Together, these touchpoints paint a vivid picture for our customers on how the Square ecosystem can solve their needs - today and tomorrow. As a Data Scientist embedded with Lifecycle,
- Partner with product and marketing team members, data-driven decisions across the organization by applying descriptive and predictive analytics where it will have a material impact
- Apply a diverse set of tactics including statistics, quantitative reasoning, and machine learning, to solve problems, independently research and produce applicable insights
- Build, coordinate, and solve complex, problems
- Communicate analysis and decisions to high-level stakeholders and executives in verbal, visual, and written media
- Lead the data strategy of Lifecycle product engineering, make well-informed architecture and design decisions that affect data at Square
- Provide comprehensive day-to-day analytics support, develop tools and resources to empower data access and self-service so your expertise can be leveraged where it is most impactful
- Work with other team members on medium and long-term initiatives that span across product domains
across product domains
- 6+ years of analytics experience or equivalent
- Strong written and verbal skills and ability to build strong relationships with product partners
- Lead projects that depend on the contributions of others in multiple disciplines
- Fluency with data, analytics and visualization technologies (We use SQL, Looker, and Python)
- Experience in applying both data-backed heuristics and machine-learning techniques to solve practical product problems such as predicting churn, cross selling, clustering user archetypes, and more
- Familiarity with data warehouse development and best practices
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.