- Atlanta, GA, USA
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Retailers have struggled too long with clunky, outdated and disconnected tools. Even as mammoth Retail and e-commerce forces threaten to disrupt smaller merchants, we are empowering those merchants with simple and elegant solutions to complex problems - like predictive analytics and fluid, omni-channel capabilities to meet customers wherever they are - to always make the sale.
Square for Retail is a growing product team based out of New York, San Francisco, Toronto, and Atlanta as well as some fully remote team members. All of our teams have Android, iOS, Frontend, and Server engineers allowing us to design, build, and ship features across our Point of Sale clients on iOS and Android, our seller facing tools on the web, and our backend platforms. We benefit from (and contribute to) the resources of the larger organization while staying focused on solving Retail-specific challenges. We are relentlessly customer focused, and iterate quickly using a build-measure-learn approach.
- Develop for our custom, purpose-built hardware - Square Register - with dual displays;
- Be a part of creating an innovative product that brings superpowers to sellers;
- Build and test client software with complex server, network and hardware interactions;
- Craft pixel-perfect, intuitive UI that delights our sellers with its ease of use;
- Work with a world-class team of experienced and dedicated engineers, product managers and designers;
- Deliver features to our growing base of subscribers, shipped at a rapid cadence;
- 2+ years of Android development experience, and an excellent command of engineering fundamentals. We’re hiring at multiple levels of experience so if Retail sounds interesting to you, don’t hesitate to apply
- Interest in learning (and helping us evolve) client engineering practices at scale
- Unwavering commitment to customer experience and the quality of your work
- An eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin for development
- Application architecture based on Square’s modern open source library, Workflow
- Espresso UI testing
- Protocol buffers for network transport
- Gradle for our build environment
- Open source libraries like LeakCanary, Jetpack Compose, Dagger, Anvil, Okhttp, and more
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.