Product Design Engineer
- San Francisco, CA
We believe everyone should be able to participate and excel in the economy. So we're building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven't stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We're empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let's shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We're here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Reporting to the Product Design Lead, you will have ownership of one or more projects and their bring up through all phases of the product design lifecycle. This involves project ownership from the conceptual to detail design and subsequent prototype and production builds at the factory. You will evaluate early field failures and implement engineering solutions throughout the sustaining engineering phase until the conclusion of the product's life cycle.
- Work with Industrial Design & Product teams to architect and refine new product concepts.
- Develop rapid prototypes using common prototyping techniques such as 3D printing, machining, etc.
- Design high-volume and high cosmetic plastic and metal parts.
- Work closely with other teams such as Electrical Engineering, Factory Test, Factory Quality, and our Operations teams to design and validate new products.
- Create partnerships with our CMs to ensure successful builds.
- Communicate your designs in CAD, presentations, or hands-on prototypes, in front of a group.
Unique aspects to the Square Product Design team:
- Manage elements of product and engineering program management especially in early project phases.
- Oversee tooling bring-up and manufacturing design engineering of all new tools and processes.
- Incorporate security elements in our designs for tamper detection and prevention.
- Work with our CM partners in both OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturing) and JDM (Joint Design Manufacturing) models.
- Oversee reliability testing including putting together a validation plan, using our CM partner's DQE teams to perform the testing, and reviewing, presenting and approving the data.
- Manage the sustaining in-production products including early field failure analysis (EFFA), design improvements, rework, and setting ongoing reliability testing specs (ORT)
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or Product Design
- 4 or more years direct or equivalent work experience
- Proven mechanical design experience
- Proficiency in industry standard CAD tools - SolidWorks a plus
- Experience designing parts with high cosmetic requirements
- Experience with high-volume manufacturing processes and DFM
Beneficial to have:
- Experience with contract manufacturers in Asia
- Experience in detailed failure analysis
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis
Products we work on:
- Square Terminal
- Square Register
- Square Stand
- Square Contactless + Chip Reader
- Square Magstripe Card Reader
- Dock for Square Reader
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.