Staff Software Engineer - Cash App Pay
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Employees can work remotely
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our millions of monthly active users. With a mission to redefine the world's relationship with money by making it more relatable, instantly available and universally accessible, at Cash App you'll have the opportunity to make a real-world impact with your career.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
Cash App is building a retail payment network that leverages our vast omni-channel Seller ecosystem at Square to create innovative payment experiences. Check out shop.cash.app for a demo.
As a senior software engineer on the team, you will be responsible for designing, building, and maintaining Cash App's retail payment experiences across the time of purchase, notifications, and historical activity. You'll be joining the founding team early in the product life cycle, with plenty of opportunities to continue shaping it from an engineering and product-perspective.
- Work cross-functionally with our product, design and business teams to support new payment experiences across Cash App mobile and web clients
- Own the design, development, and maintenance of new features and existing systems
- Lift the skills and expertise of others on the team as a technical leader
- Design and implement high-volume, low-latency, distributed transaction processing systems, making thoughtful tradeoffs between consistency and availability when both are not possible
- Build systems that manage customers’ sensitive data and hold Cash App to the highest standards for security and compliance
- See the big picture to design fault tolerant systems so the team can be brave, move fast, and break things, without showing a negative impact to customers
- 8 or more years of software development or equivalent experience
- Well-developed curiosity
- Taken technical initiative and leadership on previous projects
- Worked on products that are widely used and find it rewarding to build for consumers
- A vested interest in advancing Cash App's vision of building for economic empowerment
Tools we use and teach:
- Java 11 including JUnit, Hibernate, and Guice
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, AWS Aurora
- Amazon Web Services
- Event-driven microservice architecture
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.