Senior Ruby Engineer, Servicing Experience
- Seattle, WA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to make a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Square’s rapidly growing financing platform, Square Banking Credit, has revolutionized the way businesses and consumers obtain the funding needed to achieve their goals.
Unlike traditional business financing products, Square Banking Credit offers are extended to pre-qualified sellers with no application process, funds are deposited as soon as the next business day, and repayment happens as a fixed percentage of daily card sales. Since the product launched in 2014, Square Banking Credit has extended more than $9 billion to hundreds of thousands of sellers.
As a senior backend software engineer on the Servicing Experience Team within Square Banking Credit, you will develop the services and interfaces that power our products and borrower experiences. You will work primarily on our backend systems (which may include: Ruby on Rails, Go, Java, Node, or Python), and at times contribute to our frontend interfaces as well (Ember.js and some React). If you love delivering high-quality software that improves the lives of millions of consumers and business owners, we want to work with you!
- Work with engineering, product, and other partners to build software is clean, concise, well-tested, and forward-thinking
- Use your passion for building great software to develop meaningful and delightful software experiences that help our sellers achieve more with Square Banking Credit
- Oversee the entirety of your features, including component design, implementation, automated testing, and roll-out
- Hold yourself, and your teammates accountable to the standards of engineering that enable Block to safely move billions of dollars in payments and allow our customers to trust us with their sensitive data
- Work with designers, product managers, data scientists, and other developers to understand our problem space and create elegant solutions
Mentor junior developers in developing their code and careers
- Participate in ongoing training to maintain current knowledge of BSA/AML and perform BSA/AML duties as required by job function
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- A strong interest in working on backend systems, including APIs and business logic
- Interest in modeling complex domains and building resilient systems to support real-world applications at scale
- A sense of customer empathy (both external and internal) and the desire to influence product direction
Data-oriented mindset: you want your work to be measurable and impactful
- Strong software development skills and computer science fundamentals
- Interest in working with other engineering teams and cross-functional partners
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.