Engineering Manager – Community
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
The Community team is building more ways for users to meaningfully engage with each other in Cash App. Our vision is to allow customers to create relationships that help them build better financial futures, together.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join us to lead a founding team of engineers to build new products that enable Cash App customers to seamlessly and safely transact with each other in multi-person ways. In this role, you will be leading a highly focused delivery team and will leverage the creativity of the team to find ways to put high utility features into the hands of our customers faster and earlier.
This is an incredible opportunity to lead and inspire a team that will have a direct and immediately visible impact on Cash App customers and the business. If you want to be challenged, collaborate across teams to solve hard problems, and are passionate about customers and utilizing data and user research to drive decisions, this is the right role for you.
As part of the Community Engineering Leadership team, you’ll collaborate with us to:
- Build a team of amazing engineers to ship products quickly and nimbly
- Collaborate effectively across the engineering organization to build up this product domain
- Chart and communicate the technical strategy for the product’s evolution to engineering leaders across the organization
- Inspire the team by driving focus on the impact they have for Cash App customers and our North Star metric
- 2 or more years of experience managing teams and leading people
- 8 or more years of software development or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated ability to lead & deliver on large initiatives nimbly and quickly
- Experience overseeing the lifecycle of evolving a product from its first use cases into a platform that others can readily build on top of
- Strong desire to perform and grow as an Engineering Manager
- Have a strong bias toward serving your team and stakeholders
Tools we use and teach:
- Java, Hibernate, and Guice
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, DynamoDB
- Amazon Web Services
- Event-driven microservice architecture
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.