Senior Software Engineer - Risk Controls, Health
- Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our millions of monthly active users. With a mission to redefine the world's relationship with money by making it more relatable, instantly available and universally accessible, at Cash App you'll have the opportunity to make a real-world impact with your career.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
Cash App has grown rapidly to 70+ million users moving billions of dollars daily. To support this, we are building out Health — a new Platform organization responsible for product experiences aimed at promoting the health of the increasingly complex Cash App ecosystem. Health works to improve Cash App access for our customers, while limiting access for bad or unauthorized users by detecting and preventing improper use across all of our core product areas. The teams under Health creating these mission critical services and products include Identity, Access, Risk Controls and Support Automation.
We appreciate broad perspectives, a willingness to dive deep, and a readiness to work collaboratively across many disciplines (including product, design, operations, legal, data science, ML).
About Risk Controls
Risk Controls is a new team focused on how to make Cash App safer by improving how we monitor, report, and act on misuse of the platform without blocking authentic customers. The team is involved in both platform and customer-facing projects: infrastructure to control restrictions on customer activity when improper activity is identified, features to improve the customer experience for those who have been flagged by our risk, fraud and abuse systems. We want is to create systems that are flexible, explainable, and easy to use, for ourselves and our customers.
As a Software Engineer on Health Risk Controls, you will:
- Design, build, and operate the systems that control restrictions on customers and their activity, with a focus on iteration and scalability
- Collaborate cross-discipline and cross-team to identify requirements and develop the right infrastructure and experiences
- Investigate issues across complex systems and build the short-term solutions to unblock essential requirements and the long-term solutions to set up future success
- Mentor and support your colleagues to help grow the team
- Contribute to the broader tech and open source communities
- 4+ years of industry experience
- Shown technical initiative on previous projects and an interest in being involved from ideation through implementation
- Depth in one or more technical areas with an understanding of how to use that expertise to solve new problems
- Enthusiasm for working collaboratively across many disciplines (including product, design, operations, legal, data science, ML)
- Curiosity that inspires you to dig into issues in intricate systems and find a path to a solution
- A genuine commitment to understanding the customer impact of your decisions
- Experience with product risk or security
- Experience working in large codebases and breaking up monoliths
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin, Java
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- MySQL and noSQL databases
- Event-driven architecture
- DataDog, Prometheus, SignalFX
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.