Senior UX Research Lead - Commerce
- San Francisco, CA, United States
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
At Cash App, UX Researchers work closely with cross-functional partners to build world-class, end-to-end features that solve many of the world’s most important and interesting financial problems for millions of customers. We employ a variety of qualitative and quantitative methods to accomplish our goals, including surveys, focus groups, field studies, usability tests, and 1:1 interviews. The UX Research team is at the frontier of shaping new and innovative solutions across categories like personal finance, commerce, crypto, community and culture.
We are seeking a player/coach lead to drive and shape the UX Research team for Commerce. As a UX Research Lead, you will play a critical role influencing the Commerce roadmap.You will also play a leadership role within a growing Customer Insights organization to build practices that will help shape and drive internal and external growth of our team.
Our Commerce team reimagines the future of commerce for our customers and merchant partners by introducing new ways to shop, share, and pay for purchases.
This role reports to the Head of Customer Insights.
- Shape team strategy, identifying risks and prioritizing opportunities.
- Identify gaps and solutions for future growth and scale within the team or organization, including system, product, function, partnership, culture and/or organization opportunities.
- Build a diverse and an inclusive environment across the team, model inclusive behaviors, and hold managers accountable.
- Help shape and lead discovery research to help define and inform customer-inspired development and growth of Cash App within commerce
- Provide coaching and guidance on qualitative and quantitative user research that deepens our understanding of the Cash App customer focused on uncovering motivations, needs, and notable behavioral and psychographic characteristics
- Help evaluate product design (in market and new concepts) in order to better serve the Cash App customer through a strong focus on user experience, as well as identifying growth opportunities
- Effectively communicate research insights and findings to internal teams, leading with data-driven analysis and business relevant synthesis, via research reports and presentations
- Collaborate with teammates in Design, Product Management, Growth, Marketing and Engineering to build in research at appropriate times through the product development or go-to-market cycle
- Advocate customer needs through storytelling, including writing, visual, and verbal communication that helps other teams build empathy for our customers
- Experience in the commerce space is preferred but not required
- 0-1 experience a must; Usability and evaluation will also be a core part of this job
- Experience working in highly collaborative multidisciplinary teams across time zones
- 8+ years of experience in a professional environment
- Has led teams made up of researchers covering a breadth of methodologies (qualitative, quantitative, usability, secondary research, etc.)
- Deep experience directly conducting primary research (either qualitative or quantitative) end-to-end (i.e., designing, fielding, analyzing and reporting out data)
- Experience building teams over time through hiring, growing, and retaining high-performing researchers
- Experience building and setting research strategy that connects with business strategy
- Experience working with a variety of cross functional peers and stakeholders (e.g., product managers, data scientists, designers, engineers, policy, communications, marketing)
- Track record of translating research into business impact
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.