Staff Android Engineer - Crypto, Cash App
- Remote, OR, United States
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
The Cash App Crypto team is responsible for building, maintaining, and growing Cash App’s blockchain-based financial services, with the mission of empowering individuals across the world through access to Bitcoin and other digital assets. We prioritize building meaningful financial services over speculation and put Bitcoin at the heart of our crypto innovation strategy.
As an Android engineer on Cash’s Crypto Mobile team, you will focus on improving and expanding our services around Bitcoin and other digital assets for the US and international markets. Examples of such services include Bitcoin Lightning Network, Bitcoin P2P for Cash App customers, Bitcoin on-chain deposits and withdrawals, and Bitcoin trading around the world.
- Build end-to-end features of the app: networking, persistence, business logic, and UI
- Craft durable, well-tested code with an unwavering commitment to product quality
- Closely measure impact of your engineering work on our products performance
- Partner with other mobile and backend engineers on delivering remarkable solutions
- Collaborate with product and design stakeholders on delivering the best customer experience
- 10+ years of professional experience building in Android consumer facing features
- A passion for Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies, including its intersection with consumer finance
- Expertise in Kotlin and/or Java
- Dedicated focus on high-quality mobile UI experiences and feature developments
- Proficiency creating readable, well-crafted, and maintainable code
- Experience working on mobile apps that have scaled to thousands (if not millions) of users
- Previous contributions creating major efficiencies and cultural impact across teams
- An understanding of how to measure impact of your work, including how it translates to the business
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin, including multiplatform (believe it! — we use it both Android and iOS)
- Unit tests, snapshot tests, integration tests
- Compose, Coroutines, RxJava, SQLDelight, Retrofit, OkHttp, Wire, Moshi, Okio, Picasso, KotlinPoet
- Protocol buffers
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.