Senior Software Engineer - Identity and Access Management, Health
- San Francisco, CA, United States
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
Cash App has grown rapidly to 70+ million users moving billions of dollars daily. To support this, we are building out Health — a new Platform organization responsible for product experiences aimed at promoting the health of the increasingly complex Cash App ecosystem. Health works to improve Cash App access for our customers, while limiting access for bad or unauthorized users by detecting and preventing improper use across all of our core product areas. The teams under Health creating these mission critical services and products include Identity, Access, Risk Controls and Support Automation.
We appreciate broad perspectives, a willingness to dive deep, and a readiness to work collaboratively across many disciplines (including product, design, operations, legal, data science, ML).
The Access team is responsible for all things authentication and authorization at Cash. We ensure that our millions of customers can access Cash App safely and reliably while minimizing barriers to entry to the financial system. In addition to refining the core authentication customer experience, we support Cash App’s expansion into new use cases and markets with reliable, well-designed access control primitives that empower engineering teams across the company.
As a Senior Software Engineer on Health Access, you will:
- Design, build, and operate the APIs and services that power Cash authentication and authorization
- Evolve our architecture to scale with growth in customers and developers, working across large monolith codebases and microservices
- Collaborate with product management and design to lead the development of new, high-impact experiences and help define the roadmap
- Mentor, lead, and support your colleagues to grow the team
- Contribute to the broader tech and open source communities
- 8+ years experience building and operating quality software
- Demonstrated technical initiative on previous projects
- Strong communication skills and customer empathy
- High technical standards in software testing and delivery
- Growth mindset and a healthy comfort with ambiguity
- Experience with product security and authN/authZ standards
- Experience working in large codebases and breaking apart monoliths
- Experience working in a distributed team
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Kotlin, Golang
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, Hibernate, DynamoDB
- Kafka and event-driven architecture
- DataDog, Prometheus
- AWS, Kubernetes
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.