Data Engineer, Risk & Analytics
Afterpay is transforming the way we pay by allowing customers to buy products immediately and pay for their purchases over four installments. The service is completely free⁵ for customers who pay on time - helping people spend responsibly. As of December 31, 2021, Afterpay is offered by more than 122,000 of the world’s favorite retailers and more than 19 million active customers have adopted the service.
Afterpay is currently available in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United States and the United Kingdom, France, Italy and Spain, where it is known as Clearpay. Afterpay is on a mission to power an economy in which everyone wins. Afterpay is a wholly owned subsidiary of Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ).
The risk data team in Afterpay is mainly responsible for design, management and continuously enhancing our risk analytics data platform. Delivering data solutions to our stakeholders, the solutions include, but are not limited to: data modeling, data processing, data monitoring, data management, data visualization and data automation, etc.
As a Data Engineer, you will be working closely with platform Engineers and Data Scientists to build, run and maintain data pipelines and data services that solve complex business challenges at scale in the Risk domain. You will collaborate with data scientists to improve data transparency and to enable better decision-making processes. You will also work with business and data analysts to create applications and tools to maximize the efficient use of all data sources.
- Responsible for design, development and deliver enterprise analytical data platform to support data scientists and analysts
- Define and govern data modeling and design standards, tools, best practices, and related development for data marts.
- Master with large volumes of data; extract and manipulate large datasets using standard tools such as SQL, Spark, and Python
- Responsible for building/maintaining alerts, dashboards, and metrics to monitor availability and quality of live data, features and models
- Lead and support various ad hoc projects, as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or equivalent practical experience.
- Hands-on working experience in the data technology domain, familiar with RDBMS and big data platform.
- Experience of data warehousing concept, design and development.
- Strong software programming skills, familiar with programming languages like Python, C, C++ or Java.
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics or equivalent practical experience.
- Self-starter, motivated by a passion for developing the best possible solutions to problems.
- Intellectually curious and comfortable operating in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- Exceptional time management skills; has the ability to multi-task and triage the evolving responsibilities of the role.
- Superb communication and organization skills, with the ability to simplify and present complex engineering and analytical concepts to an executive audience.
- Experience with Flink, Kafka, Spark, some OLAP engines like Presto/Clickhouse/Druid/Kylin and so on.
- Experience working on Amazon Web Services, or other cloud computing platforms is a plus.
- Work experience in risk or payments is an advantage but not essential.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.