Sr. Data Engineer - Growth Intelligence
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
The Automation ML Infrastructure team exists to empower Machine Learning Engineers and Data Scientists within Square's Automation organization. ML and DS teams across Automation hire us to create a smooth and cohesive ML development lifecycle. Our work encompasses the entire lifecycle from data ingestion, feature engineering, model training, model deployment / monitoring and more. Square's proprietary data along with external datasets provide a rich feature set for data-driven solutions across the Automation organization. We are looking forward to unlocking its potential in partnership with our ML/DS teams.
As a Data Engineer on our team, you will oversee the full scope of data as it relates to our ML development lifecycle. You will partner with ML Engineers on our team to build data ingestion/transformation infrastructure, monitor model input features, build tools to provide transparency into data lineage and more.
- Work closely with machine learning teams to understand their data needs, influence data team's roadmap, and lead as well as implement various projects
- Design, build, and operate highly performant and scalable batch and stream data processing infrastructure and solutions to support day-to-day ML operations
- Analyze new data sources and work with partners to understand the impact of integrating new data into existing pipelines and models
- Monitor daily execution, diagnose and log issues, and fix business critical pipelines to ensure SLAs are met with internal and external stakeholders
- Design and develop foundational data models and real-time/offline processing pipelines
- Build out platform and data services/APIs to make data available to several different partners
- 2+ years experience in data engineering or similar discipline preferably supporting machine learning teams / organizations
- Expertise in SQL, especially within cloud-based data warehouses like Snowflake, Google BigQuery, and Amazon Redshift
- Technical experience with ETL scheduling technologies (e.g. Apache Airflow, Prefect, etc)
- Hands on experience of data modeling design, building complex and scalable ETLs
- Experience with Linux/OSX command line, version control software (git), and general software development
- Data engineering solutions that depend on the contributions of others in multiple disciplines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to build strong relationships across the organization
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.