- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Our hardware team builds the tangible connection to all that is Block. As we introduce more and more of our products to the world, our hardware footprint expands. In this role, you will be responsible for developing software that simulates Block's hardware products, in order to expand our automated testing capacity and make the lives of our firmware developers easier by giving them the ability to test firmware code without using hardware devices. Ideally you will have firmware development experience, but have interest and/or experience developing host-side systems that run on the cloud.
- Understand code written within the constraints of tiny embedded systems and modify it as necessary to work on Linux and Mac
- Write integration code with CI/CD systems and cloud infrastructure services
- Write and collaborate on new system-side code; including protocol design
- Develop tests to validate product features, drivers, and system functionality
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- A software development discipline, including modularization, documentation, and test methods
- Firmware / Embedded software development experience
- Expertise in C software development, tools, and debugging
- Experience integrating with CI/CD and cloud infrastructure services (e.g. AWS, GCP)
- Understanding of common communications protocols (e.g. SPI, UART, I2C, USB)
- Experience with real-time operating systems
- Experience debugging issues cross-functionally
Even better if you have experience in any of the following:
- Experience building software or firmware virtualization tools
- Experience with wireless protocols (e.g. BLE, NFC)
- Experience using Python (or similar scripting languages) in automated testing, build systems, or device firmware communication
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.