Senior Backend Engineer
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
We're looking for passionate web developers for our Block Shop team. We are a thriving group, building high-profile websites and back-end systems. Your role would play an essential part in how Block connects to and educates our merchants, and their customers.
- Work on our eCommerce ordering platform, in partnership with our fulfillment, logistics, sales, and marketing teams, to get Block hardware into the hands of our merchants.
- Write concise code, and sensible tests.
- Scaffold integrations with third-party APIs.
- Architect large-scale systems that keep things running smoothly.
- Get mentoring and help, mentor others and provide constructive pull-request reviews.
- Get a balanced, supportive, fun work environment and career path.
- 5+ years of solid, practical, and ideally high-profile experience.
- An interest in web application development and online systems.
- You are very comfortable in at least one object-oriented language, and associated web framework. Don't worry about which one—we'll train you in Ruby (and Rails).
- Resilient but are also flexible
Technologies we use (and teach):
- Ruby, RailsMySQL, Redis
- Protobufs and gRPC
- AWS and GCP
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.