Engineer Manager, Observability
- Remote, Oregon, United States
- Employees can work remotely
The Observability Team is a high-visibility foundational engineering team that builds the tools that Square engineers leverage to understand the behaviors and performance of services, data stores and application platforms. The Observability Team sets the technical direction and builds the future for system health, performance monitoring and logging capabilities at Square. We scale the systems and platforms that handle terabytes of data daily, as well as the developer experience around this ecosystem of telemetry, logs and other data. Engineers on our team feel at home working in and around multiple languages and value the need for high-quality information to make technical and product decisions. You'll work with teams across Square to eliminate points of friction and build solutions that allow our engineers to move faster.
- Lead a team of engineers providing foundational capabilities supporting multiple stakeholders and dozens of development teams while still participating in solution design, deploys, triaging and code reviews
- Grow the team by hiring qualified candidates, coaching and developing engineers, and employ your technical and managerial expertise to inspire the highest quality of work
- Work with Product counterparts to prioritize and organize the work to deliver new capabilities, manage the backlog and run ceremonies
- Set the vision for your space and manage all expectations of stakeholders and meet committed deliverables
- Partner closely with strategic vendors, manage costs and research observability trends and best practices
- Evangelize solutions, onboard and educate diverse development teams
- 2+ years of experience managing, recruiting, and retaining strong engineering talent and growing effective teams
- 5+ years of relevant software engineering experience
- Experience handling complex technical concepts, leading and working with remote teams to make decisions that allow them to move forward
- Experience building scalable distributed systems with large queuing systems managing loads (Kofta and Kinesis preferred)
- Strong understanding of performance metrics
- Experience instrumenting cloud-based based infrastructure (AWS preferred)
- Experience driving adoption of new solutions and technologies within a large company
- Experience working across multiple technical domains, including back-end microservices and both internal and external-facing tools
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.