Electrical Design Engineer
- San Francisco, CA, United States
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Our hardware team builds the tangible connection to all that is Square. From the Square Card Reader for NFC and chip cards, Square Stand, Square Terminal and Register, our family of devices is growing - and this is only the beginning. As we introduce more of our products to the world, our hardware footprint continues to expand.
Square's mission demands complex electrical designs including integration of multiple payment technologies, RF and near-field communication (NFC), batteries, displays and multiple CPUs. All of this must coexist with security, reliability, and low-cost, high-volume manufacturing. We are looking for a passionate electrical design engineer who craves these challenges.
You will have end-to-end product ownership since electrical engineers at Square advise on program concepts, design hardware, perform certifications, work with RF, work on sustaining, and more. Square electrical engineers gain a full view of all the electrical work required to ship a product. Experience gained in this role will be broad.
- Design circuits for Square's hardware products
- Collaborate with firmware, mechanical, and factory test engineers, developing cohesive, elegant solutions
- Design low-power, low-cost embedded systems optimized for volume production from "cradle to grave"
- 5+ years experience as an electrical engineer in embedded systems
- Experience designing and shipping high-volume consumer products
- Expertise in the hardware lab with test, measurement, and prototyping
- Expertise in developing schematics and leading PCB layout activities
- Familiar with standard communication interfaces such as SPI, USB, I2C, RS232
- Hands-on experience designing for EMC and debugging associated issues
- Strong skills in power management and low-power optimization
- On-site factory experience with contract manufacturers
- Experience with electrical simulation (i.e. SPICE, electro-magnetic, etc.)
- Experience in board-level analog design
- Familiarity with Altium Designer
- Experience with ARM processors
- Understanding of near-field and RF design fundamentals (i.e. NFC, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc)
- Experience writing embedded firmware
- Experience automating lab instruments with Python
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.