Deep Learning Intern - Cash App Labs
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our millions of monthly active users. With a mission to redefine the world's relationship with money by making it more relatable, available and accessible, at Cash App you'll have the opportunity to make a real-world impact with your career.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
This opportunity is only open to students who are currently enrolled in either an undergraduate, Masters or PhD program and offers an 4-month term starting in Fall of 2022. If you've already graduated (or are set to graduate before the end of 2022) please apply to one of our full-time roles.
This internship is part of our Cash App's Labs team. We're a small team of Engineers focussed on building AI longshots, balancing a passion for advancing what's possible with a commitment to positive real-world impact. In collaboration with teams at Cash App, we're developing new AI-powered products to promote economic empowerment.
We are looking for an Intern to join our Product Engineering Team. As part of our team, you'll have a unique opportunity to contribute to ‘moonshot’ projects aimed at advancing machine learning's real-world potential. This is an opportunity to see the technical challenges involved in deploying AI systems and contributing to novel software that addresses those challenges.
Technologies we use (and teach):
- Python (NumPy, Pandas, TensorFlow, keras, Pytorch etc.)
- MySQL, Snowflake, GCP/AWS and Tableau
- Work closely with Deep Learning Engineers, helping solve complex problems at scale
- Perform data engineering and data exploration, helping create novel ML applications
- Contribute to the development of experimental AI applications that solve real business problems at Cash App
- Active study in an undergraduate or graduate degree in Stats, Physics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related technical field
- Experience in software development and demonstrated technical initiative on previous projects
- Curiosity and a passion for Cash App's mission of economic empowerment
- A desire to be hands-on and help invent the future of AI
- Experience or knowledge in ML is helpful but not a prerequisite: if you are a solid software engineer, then we are happy to train you up
- Experience with rapid prototyping using public, open-source libraries and APIs
- A capacity to create order out of chaos and work on problems without clear-cut solutions
- Openness to creative ideas and enthusiasm towards working with a diverse group of people
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.