Senior Software Engineer, Availability
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
The Cash engineering team is responsible for building and maintaining the systems that make it all work. Every one of our customers needs fast and reliable access to their accounts, and the Cash Availability engineering team is responsible for making sure that happens. We care about infrastructure that makes it easy to write software that is secure, efficient, and tested. This includes the feature flagging interface used by all of Cash Engineering, which we have deep focus on building out safety rails and improving user experience. We examine metrics to find and fix any problems that arise from a massively scaled app, and if those metrics don’t exist we build them. We take an active hand in incident response, both in responding quickly to incidents as well as owning the tooling to improve response. We’re a team of engineers with a very wide breadth of experience, and we frequently work in teams to tackle big problems.
As a member of the Cash Availability team, you will
- Take part in the ownership of infrastructure projects that provide critical support for tremendous processing requirements
- Dig into the many parts of a large platform using a wide variety of analytical tooling, and if necessary, to add some new ones
- Use a data-driven approach to make the call on any new infrastructure that might need to be added, whether it’s off-the-shelf or built in-house
- Knock down pieces of infrastructure, examine the response, improve on it
- Unit test your stuff
- Work with bleeding edge cloud and database tech
- Boundless curiosity, persistence and a desire to get things done
- Ability to work autonomously, in ambiguity and collaboratively
- Strong communication skills
- Worked on systems where data consistency and availability is required
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated technical initiative on previous projects
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java 11 including JUnit, Hibernate, Guice
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- Amazon Web Services
- Event driven architecture
- Distributed databases like Vitess, Dynamo and TiDB
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.