Data Scientist, Square Debit Card
- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
Square Debit Card launched in January 2019 as the newest product to serve sellers' cash flow needs, offering them free, instant access to their card processing sales. The business debit card has grown at a strong clip over the last three years, and it is now a core part of the suite of cash flow products we are building out. As a Data Scientist, you will be embedded within the Debit Card product team, leveraging data engineering, analytics, statistics, and machine learning to empower data-driven decision making in the full life cycle of product development. In this role, you will collaborate closely with product managers, designers, engineers, and other cross-functional team members to ensure that our cash flow products amaze and delight sellers.
- Partner with product, design, and marketing stakeholders to identify, prioritize, and answer the most important questions where analytics can have a material impact
- Apply a diverse set of tactics such as statistics, quantitative reasoning, and machine learning; discerning where simple analytics solutions (e.g. a quick heuristic or visualization) are preferable to complex solutions
- Contribute to the data strategy of product engineering, influencing engineers to make well-informed architecture and design decisions that affect data at Square
- Provide comprehensive day-to-day analytics support to partner teams, developing tools and resources to empower data access and self-service so your advanced expertise can be leveraged where it is most impactful
- 3+ years of analytics experience and a Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Fluency in SQL and familiar with a scripting language like Python
- Experience exploring and understanding complex datasets and data systems, leveraging statistical and machine-learning techniques to solve practical business problems such as hypothesis testing, cross-selling, clustering user archetypes, and predicting churn
- Experience working with technical and non-technical partners, such as product managers and product marketing managers, on product development and growth initiatives
- Strong communication skills: ability to clearly communicate complex results to technical and non-technical audiences in verbal, visual, and written media
- [Bonus] An advanced degree (M.S., PhD.) in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Physical Sciences, Economics, or a related technical field
- [Bonus] Background with banking products, such as credit card or debit card
Technologies we use and teach:
- SQL (Snowflake)
- Airflow (ETL)
- Looker, Amplitude, Tableau
- Python (pandas, scikit-learn, etc.)
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.