Senior Software Engineer - Global Expansion (Canada), Cash App
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our millions of monthly active users. With a mission to redefine the world's relationship with money by making it more relatable, instantly available and universally accessible, at Cash App you'll have the opportunity to make a real-world impact with your career.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
The Global team's overall goal is to launch, build and sustainably grow Cash App beyond the US. Global has multiple product work streams that are responsible for enabling new markets, launching new products in existing markets and accelerating growth where we have found traction.
We are looking for a talented, entrepreneurial Senior Engineer with strong product know-how to help establish a new engineering team in Canada.
You will be assisting:
- Product: Defining and executing the product roadmap alongside a product lead (what we launch, when we launch it).
- Engineering: Building or adapting systems to enable the execution of the product roadmap.
- Team Growth: Building and scaling an inclusive and diverse engineering team in Canada to meet the needs of the product roadmap.
This role will work closely with a Product Lead and cross functional foundational teams (Design, Operations, Machine Learning Engineering, Analytics, Compliance Regulatory and Customer Support) to collaboratively achieve these goals. Together, this team will be capable of enhancing our products in the US and successfully launching them into new markets.
- Partner closely with the Product Lead, designers, engineers, and business leads to define your team’s vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding your customers’ needs
- Build products, systems, and services that have an immediate impact on our customers
- Build a world-class team by hiring, motivating and retaining exceptional talent, coaching and developing engineers, cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making, and leveraging your technical expertise to constantly raise the bar
- Lead and participate in critical technical, design, product and partnership discussions with leaders across the organization and company
- Foster ownership, inclusiveness, accountability, pragmatism, and urgency in the team
- Be responsible for the success of Cash App business outside of the US
- 6+ years of industry experience
- Are self motivated and curious
- An ability to uphold a high technical bar while making pragmatic tradeoffs.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Computer Science
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin, Go, Java
- AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Flux v2, Helm
- gRPC, Envoy, Istio
- SignalFx, DataDog, Prometheus
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.