Software Engineer - Recon Reporting
- Sydney, NSW, au
- Employees can work remotely
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our millions of monthly active users. With a mission to redefine the world's relationship with money by making it more relatable, instantly available and universally accessible, at Cash App you'll have the opportunity to make a real-world impact with your career.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
Cash App is a mobile-first bank that ranks in the top 10 free apps in the app store with a rapidly growing user base and feature set. The Cash engineering team is responsible for building and maintaining the systems that make it all work. As a server engineer on the Financial Platform team, you will work with core ledger used throughout CashApp for all asset types. You will also be responsible for exposing APIs to internal systems that rely on the ledger, build and evolve the strategy for handling the transactional growth and scale for all of CashApp.
As a member of the team working on a core system, it’s expected that you will have an appreciation for latency and throughput, whilst being able to ensure system availability and service level guarantees. The ability to make decisions, work autonomously, self-start, and understand the makeup of technology stacks would be highly advantageous.
As a member of the Cash App Financial Platform team, you will:
- Design, Build and Support the core systems used to power all transactions on CashApp
- Break existing monoliths into microservices driven by events
- Be involved in defining and implementing an expanding roadmap
- Build and design APIs to be used as primitive building blocks for our ever-growing product suite
- Creatively solve challenging technical problems at scale
- 5+ years working on complex systems and delivering quality software
- Well-developed curiosity and enjoy building creative solutions to complex problems
- Worked on systems where data consistency and availability is required
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Taken technical initiative on previous projects
- A vested interest in advancing Cash App's vision of building for economic empowerment
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java 11 including JUnit, Hibernate, Guice, and Jersey
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- Amazon Web Services
- Event driven architecture
- Feature Engineering for Machine Learning
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.