Senior Manager, Cloud Security
- 1455 Market Street , San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Block''s Information Security culture is focused on helping our engineering teams build and ship secure products. We achieve this by designing, building, and deploying security alongside our product and infrastructure teams.
As the Senior Manager of Block's Cloud Security organization, you will lead the managers of world-class AWS, GCP and Kubernetes security teams who improve Block's cloud security posture at scale.
Block is in the early days of migrating existing on-prem services to the cloud. Your work will shape the way we use the cloud for years to come.
We're looking for someone with both a broad knowledge of security and systems, and knowledge of how to apply that to AWS, GCP and Kubernetes-based platforms. You have experience managing cloud security or infrastructure security teams and prior experience managing managers, scaling organizations and building strategic partnerships with team members in and outside of security.
This is a senior manager of managers role and reports to our Director of Infrastructure Security.
- People Development: You have multiple years of experience in people management. You are an effective career coach and can provide mentorship and feedback. You enjoy investing in your teammates and developing career progression plans with them, helping them reach their highest potential.
- Team Development: You focus on efficiency and delivering on expectations. You help identify and recruit junior and senior candidates. You understand when to make direct contributions and when to delegate and grow your teammates.
- Continuous Improvement: You have multiple years of experience improving security in an environment where engineers have a lot of autonomy.
- Influence & Communication: You stand in an engineer's shoes, but also speak at the appropriate altitude when working with other organizations and leaders. You have empathy and try to understand when communicating. This enables you to identify the best path forward and influence how you approach a problem, and how other teams may prioritize supporting your work.
- Lead a geographically distributed organization who hardens Block's cloud infrastructure
- Guide cloud security strategy throughout the company
- Use your technical expertise to cultivate engineering decision-making and sustain high engineering standards on the team
- Work with our cloud infrastructure, network teams, and engineering leadership across the company
- Work with the infrastructure and product managers who are moving to the cloud, and ensure that they have secure-by-default systems
- Work remotely or in the San Francisco, Seattle, or New York City office. Occasional travel to San Francisco may be required
- At least 12 years total experience in tech
- You work well cross-functionally with audiences who may not have a security background
- Cloud experience
- At least 4 years of AWS and GCP experience
- At least 2 years of Kubernetes experience
- Experience implementing cloud security and hardening, especially in a large or complex environment
- Knowledge of cloud IAM and how to configure least-privilege
- Knowledge of cloud networking and how to securely interconnect multiple cloud accounts and on-prem servers
- Expertise in automation tools such as Terraform, CloudFormation, Ansible, etc.
- Security experience
- At least 8 years experience working in security (does not need to be in the cloud)
- Experience writing code to solve security issues. This could be writing security tools, or automation/management of security-sensitive environments
- Networking knowledge, including network security and segmentation
- Experience in Python and/or Ruby
- Familiarity with Azure
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.