Data Science Manager
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Seattle, United States
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our millions of monthly active users. With a mission to redefine the world's relationship with money by making it more relatable, available and accessible, at Cash App you'll have the opportunity to make a real-world impact with your career.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
The Cash App Data Science team is growing and we're looking to bring in experienced leaders to lead a few different areas of the organization - Experimentation/Growth, Financial Platform and Financial Services.
- Lead a Data Science workstream (this may include taking on existing team members as reports or building the team from scratch)
- Develop and execute actionable insights to drive positive impact to the business
- Identify opportunities to optimize across multiple metrics and constraints, leveraging in-depth analysis and rigorous experimental design
- Partner with senior leaders from Engineering and Operations to set and drive a long-term vision
- Offer technical mentorship to existing team members, focusing on their long-term growth
- Use data and expertise to build compelling narratives that communicate ideas and opportunities to gain buy in and build alignment, with both internal and external partners
To be successful, you should have:
- 8+ years of Data Science experience, with at least 2+ years of experience as a direct Manager of Data Scientists or Data Analysts
- Experience working in Payments or Fintech is a plus, but not a requirement
- Enough (and recent) proficiency with Python, SQL and other relevant tools that will allow you to support and mentor the team and encourage their technical growth
- Strong communication and the demonstrated ability to translate insights into impact
- Excellent business acumen and a self starting attitude
Technologies we use and teach:
- Querying and Pipelines: SQL (MySQL, Snowflake, BigQuery), Airflow, Prefect
- Data Manipulation and Analysis: Python (Pandas, NumPy and sklearn) or R
- Dashboarding: Tableau, Looker, Mode
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.