Senior UX Researcher, Conversations
- Seattle, WA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: New York, United States
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
We are looking for an experienced Senior UX Researcher to join Square's growing Appointments and Conversations team. We know we can only build remarkable products if we have empathy for our customers' lives first and that's where you'll come in. You'll help connect Square with the sellers we serve, learning from their unique stories and challenges as small business owners to ensure our products are relevant, useful and delightful.
Today, messaging has become a key pillar of omni-channel commerce. The Conversations team at Square enables streamlined communication between buyers and sellers through Square Messages - a hub from which they can text, email, and transact with buyers, all within their Square account and with the support of Square Assistant. In this role, you’ll report to the UX Research Lead for Appointments & Conversations and be part of a community of researchers where you can grow in your craft.
We're aiming to build a research team that mirrors the inclusivity of our Square seller community. We encourage candidates from all different backgrounds and all over the United States and Canada - from big cities to small towns - to apply.
You'll be embedded into a collaborative team of Product Managers, Designers, and Engineers as the “voice of our sellers”, focused on creating remarkable experiences in one of our product areas. You'll guide and inspire your team by delivering research that uncovers meaningful insights. You'll know you're successful when you've influenced strategic decisions that alleviate our seller's biggest pain points. Specifically, you'll:
- Lead, design, and execute research projects, choosing the right methods to answer complex questions. You'll bring your team members into your research process to grow their understanding of our sellers and the problems we're trying to solve.
- Shape your team's research roadmap and strategy. You'll work with your cross-functional team, weighing timeline, approaches, and impact to plan and scope research needs for initiatives small and large.
- Provide guidance and training on research tools and techniques to enable non-researchers to conduct “self-service” research activities.
- Help identify opportunities for our team and Square as a whole to better serve our buyers and sellers, inspire product strategy, and encourage design iteration.
- Contribute to the Square-wide research community, including creating ways to enhance the visibility of our research, learning from other's skills and sharing your own, and developing helpful tools and templates.
- 8+ years of experience conducting and leading impactful user research, ideally with/at innovative consumer, fintech, financial, mobile or digital companies.
- Empathy, knowledge, and a deep desire to improve the lives of business owners.
- A track record of using research to influence decisions across the whole product development process and product roadmap through successful collaboration with product managers, design, engineers, data science, etc.
- Agile approach to building research plans that deliver on wide-ranging team needs under tight timeframes.
- Experience designing and leading generative and evaluative research using a range of qualitative and quantitative methods (e.g. remote & in-person interviews, usability testing, concept testing, workshops, surveys)
- Project management skills, including planning logistics, coordinating activities with multiple team members and flexibly adapting to changes.
- A willingness to get hands-on and personally recruit participants.
- Simple and clear style of communicating findings.
- Experience conducting research remotely across multiple markets.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.