Senior UX Researcher
- San Francisco, CA, United States
Afterpay is transforming the way we pay by allowing customers to buy products immediately and pay for their purchases over four installments. The service is completely free⁵ for customers who pay on time - helping people spend responsibly. As of December 31, 2021, Afterpay is offered by more than 122,000 of the world’s favorite retailers and more than 19 million active customers have adopted the service.
Afterpay is currently available in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United States and the United Kingdom, France, Italy and Spain, where it is known as Clearpay. Afterpay is on a mission to power an economy in which everyone wins. Afterpay is a wholly owned subsidiary of Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ).
Afterpay’s Design Team is focused on bringing to market novel and innovative shopping features with tools that delight customers and hold strong competitive advantages. This team works to create the most compelling and consistent experiences as well as taking ownership of an intuitive information architecture, bridging multiple product areas in the one dynamic ecosystem.
As Senior UX Researcher, you will have a critical role leading UX research and generating comprehensive, evidence based design recommendations to improve the consumer and merchant experiences across Afterpay along with 3 other team members. You will lead research into the consumer and merchant experiences at Afterpay and collaborate with teams from Cash App as we unify the Block.xyz ecosystem.
In practice, you will create internal research project teams involving product managers and designers to deliver targeted research. You will bring the expertise to these teams to lead the research activities with support from the team members. Additionally you will be heavily involved in ‘connecting-the-dots’ across varying sources of information (primary/secondary research, data analytics, business partner) to inform strategic research roadmaps bringing Afterpay and Cash App together.
- Lead qualitative research, including collecting and analysing user behaviour through in depth interviews, ethnographic research, contextual inquiry, card sorting, surveys, and other relevant research methodologies
- Lead quantitative research, including surveys, card sorts, A/B testing, treejacks and other quant data collection techniques. Analyse data sets using statistical techniques to identify actionable insights for key stakeholders
- Evaluate product design (in market and new concepts) in order to better serve the Afterpay customer through a strong focus on user experience, as well as identifying growth opportunities
- Partner closely with Design and Product Management to uncover new, user-centric opportunities; effectively communicate research insights and findings to internal teams (Data Science, Marketing, and Engineering), leading with data-driven analysis and business relevant synthesis, via research reports and presentations
- Advocate customer needs through storytelling, including writing, visual, and verbal communication to build empathy for our customers
- Provide guidance and mentorship to early career researchers
- At least 6+ years industry experience. This might include design research, UX/CX research, market research, or other relevant experience
- Expertise related to research design and applied statistics including sampling approaches, experiments, causal or predictive modeling, and data mining
- Familiar with a wide range of qualitative research methodologies such as one-on-one interviews, ethnographic field research, usability testing (lab and remote), heuristic evaluations, card sorting.
- Demonstrated experience planning and executing UX research studies independently
- Experience in managing complex stakeholders and driving work to completion; experience managing 3rd party vendors and agencies for recruiting, moderation, or end to end research support, when required
- Previous experience working on projects that build trust with customers or tackle sensitive subject matter
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.