Product Lead, Payments Products
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Alternate Location: New York, United States
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
The Payment Products team works to empower all sellers to take all forms of payment, from all buyers, anywhere in the world. We are stewards of Square’s core payments product, which makes it possible for sellers to take a card payment quickly and easily via the Square Point of Sale app. We also partner with the Payment Platform team to make remarkable payments functionality available to every other product team at Square and to third party developers outside of Square.
Our team loves working on Payments because our product drives awareness of the Square brand, it is Square’s first touchpoint with most of our sellers, and our business’ strong economics help fuel the broader Square ecosystem. While we have already helped millions of sellers take their first payment with Square, the payments landscape is rapidly changing. We see an accelerating transition from physical to digital payments and services, emergence of new payment types, evolving buyer and seller norms and preferences, and endless opportunities to serve sellers in new ways in international markets. It's our job to navigate those changes on behalf of our sellers; to understand who they are and how we can best help them. Sound interesting? Read on.
We're looking for an experienced Product leader to lead the Product Management function for the Payment Products business. You will be the steward of Square's flagship payment product and, in parallel, develop a compelling vision for the future of Square's payment products. You will lead the teams responsible for building and growing payment products globally, and manage the sizable P&L, high-performing product team, shared strategy, roadmap, and key relationships with partners across Block. You will report directly to the GM of Payment Products and join a close-knit, full-stack team spanning Engineering, Design, Product Marketing, Data Science, and Creative.
- Lead Square's payment products and sizable P&L. Increase growth from our existing product and develop new payment products and functionality, both in the U.S. and internationally.
- Inspire and lead a team of strong product managers. Help ensure their professional development and maintain a strong team culture, both within Product Management and across the Payment Products organization.
- Deeply understand our customers and their needs, and guide our world-class team to ship remarkable solutions.
- Create a vision for the future of payment products, and execute a strategy to deliver that. Foster an environment that enables the team to execute quickly while maintaining a high standard for quality
- Expertly and openly collaborate with and influence cross-functional partners throughout Block
- Developed and implemented a product strategy, with measurable impact. You have a track record of crafting or co-creating with your team a product strategy that balances long-term objectives with short-term experimentation. You help a broader team understand how work ladders up to the strategy and key goals.
- Excellent people management experience and instincts. You have hired and coached strong performing product teams, and addressed performance management thoughtfully and deliberately.
- Ability to balance customer empathy and business outcomes. You have a thoughtful product development approach that balances customer needs with business outcomes. You help your team edit the product down to its essence in an elegant fashion that accounts for internal constraints.
- Excellent relationship management skills. You are a strong collaborator and thoughtful in building relationships with stakeholders. You will partner with your functional lead peers on Payment Products and build enduring, productive relationships with counterparts across Block.
- Passion for and, ideally, experience in the payments or fintech domain. You care about empowering business owners with powerful tools that promote economic empowerment.
- A strong sense of curiosity, a hunger for learning, and a passion for Square's mission and new technology.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.