Senior Electrical Design Engineer
- Toronto, ON, Canada
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Our hardware team builds the tangible connection to all that is Square. From the Square Card Reader for NFC and chip cards, Square Stand, Square Terminal and Register, our family of devices is growing - and this is only the beginning. As we introduce more and more of our products to the world, our hardware footprint continues to expand.
Block's mission demands increasingly aggressive product designs, which necessitate the hands-on attention of multiple engineering disciplines to design, build, and validate them. As a hardware design engineer, you will be primarily responsible for the design and test of electronic circuit devices such as card readers and NFC systems.
Additionally, you will contribute to the process of certification of the devices. You will be using specialized equipment (e.g. Robotic test tools), troubleshooting failed devices/components, and executing deep validation tasks.
- Design electronic circuits using suitable components, systems and equipment.
- Define test methodologies and process improvements
- Perform Circuits Characterization and Optimization
- Perform hands-on prototype builds of design concepts and test fixtures for evaluation
- Generate technical drawings, models, schematics, Bills of Material (BOMs)
- Generate documentation to support design testing and/or production activity
- Analyse product requirements and create a detailed hardware architecture and formal structured design
- Conduct circuit analysis from requirements to formal design
- Perform simulations to validate design choices
- Design auxiliary tools, prototypes and test interfaces
- Prepare product operational documentation to support software development
- Bachelor or Master's in Electrical Engineering
- 2+ years for MSc and 5+ years for BSc of related EE experience.
- FPGA , Digital and Mixed Signal Circuits Analysis and Design experience
- Experience working on integrated circuits, PCBs, PCBAs and prototyping.
- Experience with circuit analysis and design, CAD schematic and layout tools preferably Altium, circuit simulation tools, and design evaluation.
- Analog and digital circuit simulation
- Hands-on PCB Layout knowledge
- VHDL/Verilog programming
- Experience with Altium Designer, Matlab and PSPICE
- Experience with Near Field Communication technology (NFC)
- Experience with EM simulation tools such as ADS or CST
- Ability to travel internationally [5-20%]
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.