Senior Software Engineer - Database Engineering
- San Francisco, CA, United States
The Online Data Storage team (ODS) is responsible for OLTP systems within Square. ODS provides and maintains a reliable and secure platform to host databases, both on-premise and in AWS. The team develops tooling to automate the creation and maintenance of databases, and gives application developers tools to better manage their databases.
As an engineer on ODS, you will:
- Design, build, and own the software and tools to automate the lifecycle of databases
- Collaborate with other platform teams to develop the infrastructure of Square’s database servers
- Optimize datastore architecture and configurations to improve performance efficiency, for both on-premise and cloud-based production environments
- Collaborate with other product teams to optimize their database usage
- 5+ years of relevant database infrastructure industry experience developing highly scalable production services
- Experience writing software applications in Go/Golang
- Backend Software Development experience
- Experience with incident response, including disaster recovery
- Experience with scripting languages such as Ruby or Bash
- Experience building and managing Cloud-based databases such as AWS (preferred)
- DevOps experience
- Experience with MySQL, data modeling, and data governance in relational databases
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.