Android Engineer, Retail Inventory
- New York, NY, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Retailers have struggled too long with clunky, outdated and disconnected tools. Even as mammoth Retail and e-commerce forces threaten to disrupt smaller merchants, we are empowering those merchants with simple and elegant solutions to complex problems - like predictive analytics and fluid, omni-channel capabilities to meet customers wherever they are - to always make the sale. Square for Retail is one of Square’s three vertical Point of Sale solutions, focused on serving upmarket sellers. We offer a purpose-built solution to help Retailers run all aspects of their business, including complex workflows in Square Dashboard (web), a custom built Retail Point of Sale for Android and iOS. Our solution is built for retail businesses with larger catalogs, with tools for advanced inventory management and multi-channel orders.
As a software engineer on the Retail Inventory team, you'll work with engineers up and down the stack as well as cross-functionally with our product and design partners to build elegant user experiences that solve complex problems: saving sellers time and reducing anxiety as they strive to manage and understand their inventory – logistics that are at the very heart of every retailer’s business. We’re hiring at multiple levels of experience, so if Retail sounds interesting to you, don’t hesitate to apply.
- Develop for our custom, purpose-built hardware - Square Register - with dual displays
- Be a part of creating an innovative product that brings superpowers to sellers
- Build and test client software with complex server, network and hardware interactions
- Craft pixel-perfect, intuitive UI that delights our sellers with its ease of use
- Work with a world-class team of experienced and dedicated engineers, product managers and designers
- Deliver features to our growing base of subscribers, shipped at a rapid cadence
- 2+ years of Android development experience, and an excellent command of engineering fundamentals
- Interest in learning (and helping us evolve) client engineering practices at scale
- Unwavering commitment to customer experience and the quality of your work
- An eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin for development
- Application architecture based on Square’s modern open source library, Workflow
- Espresso UI testing
- Protocol buffers for network transport
- Gradle for our build environment
- Open source libraries like LeakCanary, Jetpack Compose, Dagger, Anvil, Okhttp, and more
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.