Software Engineer, Cloud Foundations
The Cloud Foundations team is a small, agile team working to make cloud use at Block more accessible, easier and safer. Block is at an exciting inflection point, where Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP) are becoming increasingly advantageous to product engineers versus our datacenters. We're actively talking to other product focused teams, understanding what they want and building tooling that makes it possible for them to do what they want without us getting in the way. Some projects we’ve worked on recently include unifying cloud and datacenter observability, feature enhancements to our Terraform CI/CD pipelines, and enabling service mesh connectivity from AWS Lambda.
As an engineer on Cloud Foundations, you will directly contribute to designing and building the infrastructure that enables every team at Block to use the best AWS and GCP have to offer. Your impact will span across product and infrastructure engineering teams at Block, and you will help set the direction for Block's cloud use for many years to come. Along the way you will have plenty of opportunities to meet and interact with engineers from across the company working on vastly different problems and be in a position to help them all succeed.
- Shape how Block uses AWS and GCP by designing and building software that bridges Block systems to the cloud and between clouds
- Collaborate with security teams to improve the security posture of Block's cloud presence
- Be able to tell the world about your work through blogging, presenting and open sourcing it
- Act as a force multiplier for software deployment and scale-up efforts by product engineering teams using cloud-based technologies in their solutions
- Participate in a team on-call rotation (quite painless - we work hard to make sure this is a breeze)
- Provide help to engineering teams across Block working with our technologies
- Dive deep to solve problems in novel ways based on our team principal of “get out of the way” and enterprise security requirements.
- Familiarity with GCP or AWS
- Familiarity with one infrastructure as code tool, like Terraform or Cloud Formation
- Familiarity with any of the following programming languages: Ruby, Go, Python or Java
- An interest in building tools and platforms for other engineers
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.