Staff Machine Learning Engineer - Personalization
- Alternate Location: Seattle, United States
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our millions of monthly active users. With a mission to redefine the world's relationship with money by making it more relatable, instantly available and universally accessible, at Cash App you'll have the opportunity to make a real-world impact with your career.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
The Personaization team strives to create a personalized experience for our customers on Cash App. Our team is continuing to grow and we’re looking for ML Engineers who are excited about building thoughtful software and solving interesting problems. Our problems span many technologies, from server-side development and machine learning pipelines to web. You will work on a small but rapidly growing team with people across Software Engineering, ML Modeling, Data Science, Product and Design, building a customer experience that is driven by machine learning.
We’re open to in-office, hybrid or fully remote for this role - you choose whatever works best for you.
- Design, build, and maintain scalable ML systems that enable us to personalize experience for our 40+ million users
- Collaborate with many teams to make technical, design, strategy, and product decisions
- Mentor and coach other Engineers on the team
- A degree/background in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related technical field. A graduate degree is a nice to have
- 6+ years of experience in building highly scalable systems and demonstrated technical initiative and leadership on previous projects. Prior experience in building ML Systems for recommendations and ranking is helpful but not required
- Experience helping your teammates grow through mentorship and providing constructive feedback
- Experience or knowledge in ML is helpful but not a prerequisite: if you are a solid software engineer, then we are happy to train you up on ML-specific parts of the role
- Be able to work collaboratively with technical and non-technical people across different teams
- Curiosity and a passion for Cash App's mission of economic empowerment
We value general engineering skill and versatility over existing domain knowledge, but here’s a sample of what we currently use:
- Kotlin, Java, Python and React
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- AWS, GCP and Kubernetes
- SignalFx and DataDog
- Apache Beam, Google DataFlow and Spark
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.