Corporate Accountant - Square Financial Services
- Chicago, Illinois, us
- Employees can work remotely
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
Square Financial Services, Inc. (the "Bank" or "SFS") was approved for an industrial bank charter by the Utah Department of Financial Services ("UDFI") and deposit insurance from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation ("FDIC") in March 2020. The Bank opened in March 2021 as a Utah corporation and has since been delivering on Block's mission of economic empowerment by helping small business owners and underserved communities across the United States.
SFS has launched a search for a Bank Accountant. You will be an experienced Bank Accountant who will report to a Senior Accountant. You will assist with the Bank's accounting and financial oversight and ensure the Bank's financial records are complete and accurate.
- Be responsible for accounting functions/processes for Block's bank subsidiary
- Prepare journal entries and month-end account reconciliations
- Provide updates and account analyses for the Bank entity during close meetings.
- Assist with preparing the Bank's regulatory filings including Audited Standalone financial statements and Call Report
- Assist with statutory audits by facilitating requests from internal and external auditors as well as bank regulators.
- Maintain documentation to support compliance with SOX and regulatory requirements
- Liaise with Block's Accounting, Product and Software Engineering teams to ensure the Bank's operational and reporting needs are met
- Establish/maintain efficient processes and support operational enhancements and improvements
- Process and document controls to ensure FDICIA compliance with internal control environment
- Liaise with the Bank's Treasury Team as needed
- 3+ years of related work experience in accounting and finance
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, or relevant field
- High-level understanding and implementation of a control environment
- Ability to perform operational and moth-end close and reporting functions
- A process-driven approach, with natural curiosity
- Proficiency in accounting research
- An eye for efficiency, are improvement-focused, and detail-oriented
- Passion for Block and desire to help customers
- A desire to work in a team environment
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.