Product Designer, Square for Restaurants
- Austin, TX, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
The Restaurants team empowers Food & Drink businesses of all kinds to start, run, and grow their businesses through advanced workflows, specialized products, insights, and inclusion in the greater Square ecosystem.
As a Product Designer on the Restaurants team, you'll oversee design decisions that directly influence the product and roadmap. Your work will span from core features to experimental projects. We believe in generalists who have a hand in each stage of product development, so Product Designers at Square take projects from sketches to final visual specifications. You'll report to the Design Lead for Square for Restaurants.
You will collaborate with designers, researchers, engineers, analysts, and other cross-functional team members to ensure that our product provides a remarkable, delightful experience.
We are aiming to build a design team that mirrors the inclusivity of the Square seller community and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. We also welcome you to share any personal experiences that inform your empathy for our sellers, including firsthand experience in hospitality.
- Create professional, well-thought-out designs using established design systems and patterns
- Work with UX researchers, product managers, and engineers to iterate on new features and user journeys related to restaurants in Square Dashboard and POS
- Think holistically about complex systems, empathize with users, and understand goals to create compelling user experiences
- Conceptualize designs, from wireframes, visual mockups to prototypes
- Advocate for product quality
- 5+ years of professional design experience
- A portfolio of multiple shipped projects on which you were the primary designer
- The ability to articulate high-level team goals and connect your work to larger team or company initiatives.
- Experience working across native platforms and web
- You plan, scope, and create work that contributes to a larger, long-term plan
- You know when to compromise without sacrificing user experience or design principles
- You are an advocate for the customer
- You take pride in the quality of your work and create professional, well-thought-out designs using established design systems
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.