Senior iOS Engineer - Mobile Developer Experience
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
As an early member of the Cash Mobile Developer Experience team, you will be responsible for building and maintaining tools that help every mobile engineer at Cash App accomplish their jobs in a more efficient manner. We’ve grown our mobile organization significantly, and we believe the time is right to revisit core pieces of our internal infrastructure that now support 10x the number of engineers they were originally designed for. We believe solving these problems will mean embracing open source technologies, and we are looking for someone that shares our beliefs.
This team is actively being bootstrapped, so comfort with ambiguity and an ability to collect requirements in a self-directed manner will be key to early success. Initial projects for this team will include (but are not limited to):
- Migrating Cash App’s mobile build pipelines to Bazel
- Identifying build inefficiencies to increase developer velocity
- Improving mobile observability by adopting Datadog
- Adopting modern CI infrastructure, e.g. Buildkite, and building GitHub Actions to support our developer workflows
- Build and maintain tools that increase the leverage of every mobile engineer at Cash App
- Formulate and execute our build tooling strategy for our iOS and Android products
- Solicit input from our mobile engineering organization to solve problems holistically across our ecosystem
- Have a meaningful impact on the speed at which our engineering organization delivers to our customers
- Maintain, monitor, and remediate issues within (and surrounding) the build systems and tools that you have created
- Embrace and contribute to open source software where needed
- Experience creating readable, well-crafted, and maintainable code
- Exceptional communication skills in written and oral form (describing ideas, discussing approaches, presentations, status updates)
- Ability to work with remote teams and operate autonomously in a different timezone
- A commitment to continuous improvement (yourself, your teammates, your software)
- A history of dealing with build systems and large codebases
- A desire to shape the solution to broad problems within the mobile tooling space
Technologies we use and teach:
- CocoaPods, Bazel, Gradle, Jenkins
- Protocol Buffers
- Swift, Kotlin (including multiplatform), Ruby
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.