Senior Software Engineer, Big Data - Risk & DS Engineering Team
- Melbourne VIC, Australia
- Employees can work remotely
At Afterpay, our mission is to power an economy in which everyone can win. We empower customers to access the things they want and need, while still allowing them to maintain financial wellness and control, by splitting payments in four, for both online and in-store purchases. We do this by connecting more than 122,000 retailers across the globe with over 19 million active customers.
We trust in the next generation and share a vision of a more accessible and sustainable world in which people are rewarded for doing the right thing. And as a part of Block, Inc., (NYSE: SQ), we’re united by our shared purpose of economic empowerment. Ready to shape an economy in which everyone wins?
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Risk & Data Science engineering team you'll be responsible for developing software to make an immediate impact on the Afterpay product and help lead major projects in the future. You will join the Risk & DS Engineering team to build the machine learning feature engineering platform in the Afterpay.
In this role you will influence many aspects of the business through architecting the core risk systems. This is an exciting opportunity to make a direct and tangible impact on our product and work on projects that are pivotal to our team’s success and the company’s growth.
- Be responsible for designing, building, and owning the services and infrastructure that manages Afterpay’s financial risk. You will build web applications, design highly available services, and work with complex distributed systems
- Collaborate with product managers, data analysts, data scientists on planning and implementing frictionless user experiences
- Own features and functions throughout their lifecycle from inception, rollout, launch, scale and iteration
- Design and build self-serving data platform to handle new products and business requirements that securely scale over millions of users and their transactions
- Develop, integrate and optimize end to end data pipeline
- Partner with data scientists, data analysts and domain engineering teams to identify and execute on new opportunities
- Work with the software engineering team following our software development principles guided by the Staff Engineers and Engineering Managers. It will also be expected that you help drive and perfect these principles.
- Ideally experience on architecting large scale distributed system
- 5+ years of Experience in building and maintaining applications that utilize modern programming languages such as Java and Python
- Experience with at least two of technologies such as Airflow, Flink, Kafka, Spark, Cassandra, Snowflake,
- Experience with at least two of data pipeline, data processing (aggregation and persistence), feature extraction, big query, pub/sub
- Familiar with big data cross platform compatible file formats like Apache Avro & Apache Parquet
- Passionate about continuously learning new technologies, frameworks, and services
- Possess an execution mindset and the ability to deliver with cross-functional teams that are globally distributed
- Any exposure to Machine Learning or Data Science area would be beneficial but not essential
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.