Art Director, Square Commerce Platform
- New York, NY, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Square is looking for an art director to join the DPC Creative team, which owns Developer, Partner, and Commerce Platform marketing channels. This role would focus primarily on the Square Commerce Platform marketing channels, as well as all experiential marketing with an emphasis on digital & in-person events.
As an art director, you’ll collaborate to create inspiring solutions that tell Square’s story and educate merchants about how they can run and grow their business with Square.
You’ll guide in creation and production, planning and directing initiatives from start to finish with people across the organization. You will be at the heart of interpreting briefs, co-creating ideas and bringing them to life. You’ll be asked to connect dots, organize thoughts and develop strategy to match the teams’ expectations. You will lead projects from concept through execution, QA, and iteration. The execution will be through multi-channels such as web, email, print, experiential, photography, video, and animation.
Work with a talented team of producers, program managers, project managers, Interactive Designers, Copywriters, Production Design, Design Technologists, and Creative Leadership. On a daily basis you’ll also work with cross-functional partners (like Product Marketing, Brand Marketing, Video, Photo, Product Design, and Creative Leadership. This position will report to the Associate Creative Director.
This is a remote-friendly position.
- Work with a multi-disciplinary team of copywriters, designers, and cross-functional partners to translate content and marketing strategies into creative concepts.
- Create campaign concepts that stretch across media and channels including web, social, print and experiential
- Iterate and communicate ideas across various levels of fidelity (moodboards, concept statements, design explorations, art direction boards, storyboards, etc.)
- Deliver outstanding photography, videography direction, typography & branding application direction, and design direction
- Provide inspiration, mentorship, support, and direction to multidisciplinary creatives
- Cultivate cross-functional partnerships
- Work with project and program managers to develop project plans and ensure that projects are progressing and creative is exceptional and delivered on time.
- 8+ years of industry experience (design studio, production house, or relevant in-house marketing experience)
- Experience with event design, digital & in-person a plus
- Experience leading video direction end-to-end
- General understanding of designing for web & digital assets
- Expertise in the fundamentals of design; typography, composition, color, layout, design thinking, and content strategy in the design solutions you create
- Ability to adhere to and build upon brand and campaign systems
- Expertise in Figma
- An understanding of the Adobe Creative Suite with expertise in Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Experience defining, building, and differentiating brands
- Experience managing or providing mentorship to junior creatives while still advancing individual assignments and goals
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.