Senior Product Designer
- Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Afterpay is transforming the way we pay by allowing customers to buy products immediately and pay for their purchases over four installments. The service is completely free⁵ for customers who pay on time - helping people spend responsibly. As of December 31, 2021, Afterpay is offered by more than 122,000 of the world’s favorite retailers and more than 19 million active customers have adopted the service.
Afterpay is currently available in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United States and the United Kingdom, France, Italy and Spain, where it is known as Clearpay. Afterpay is on a mission to power an economy in which everyone wins. Afterpay is a wholly owned subsidiary of Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ).
Our product design team owns the end-to-end customer experience from conceptual thinking to creating tangible solutions and delivery to market.Our focus is to create world-class experiences for our customers. We pride ourselves in rethinking established paradigms and have a passion for creative problem solving, business strategy and technology.
As Senior Product Designer, you will report directly to a Design Manager and be a strong independent contributor who can hit the ground running, own larger design efforts, and be a leader on your cross-functional team. You will assume individual mentoring or coaching responsibilities to help support those around you. You will actively contribute to the design community to help influence and promote the value of design. You’ll shape strategy, build feature solutions, and be looked upon as an expert for some of our most important products.
Our commerce team is building an ecosystem to connect businesses to our customers to help them both thrive. Whether offering top merchant deals or giving customers the ability to buy now and pay later, our team is focused on helping our customers spend responsibly. The commerce team has many strategic initiatives that join the Square and Cash App ecosystems, such as BNPL. This payment option allows our customers to pay online or in person at AfterPay merchants and Square sellers.
- 8+ years of experience as a product designer taking your work end-to-end; outstanding UX capabilities, strong UI/Systems competency, and product thinking for mobile experiences
- Experience applying research, experiments, usability tests, and metrics to inform design decisions; comfort with an iterative design process that includes accepting and acting on feedback
- Highly motivated and influential within your cross-functional team to help inform product vision, strategy and roadmap; quickly complete design tasks and keep work moving forward whilst collaborating with engineers and product managers
- Strong systems thinker with the ability to connect the dots across the entire customer ecosystem; passionate for turning complex problems into simple and engaging experiences
- Ability to deal ambiguity and adapt to change
- Strong communication skills, leveraging storytelling to clearly & succinctly present concepts to the broader product and design teams
- Experience mentoring other designers, providing feedback and coaching work
- Previous work experience in a consumer-focused financial tech organzation
- An active influencer with strong business acumen to help demonstrate the value of design
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.