Developer Technical Writer
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
We're looking for a Technical Writer with a background in developer documentation, and with a passion for helping developers be successful. We're growing the Square Developers team as we expand the platform and engage the broader developer community. We consider documentation an integral part of the platform and essential to developers' success. The Technical Writing team helps set our documentation strategy. We partner with platform engineering teams to provide high quality and accurate documentation. This collaboration enables us to meet the needs of educating and guiding developers. Come grow the Square developer community!
- Write concise and useful documentation for Square's external developer audience.
- Write code snippets and interactive tutorials to help developers get up to speed quickly.
- Work with product managers, developer evangelists, designers, and marketing to shape the entirety of the Square developer experience. Also, collaborate with Support for continuous content improvements.
- Work with our product and engineering teams to enhance and expand Square's developer platform.
- Contribute to internal documentation projects on an as-needed basis.
- Comfortable working in an unstructured writing environment with evolving processes and in-house systems.
- Comfortable handling multiple projects and prioritizing ad hoc requests.
- 5+ years of experience working directly with engineers, product managers, and other partners to help document new developer products and features. Be the first customer of the Square Developer platform.
- Experience writing all common forms of developer documentation (API reference, conceptual guides, and tutorials).
- Experience writing in Markdown syntax.
- Comfortable working at the command line in a Macintosh environment.
- Familiarity with Git and GitHub.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $144,500 - USD $176,700
Zone C: USD $136,900 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $129,300 - USD $158,100
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.