Technical Program Manager, Disputes
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Employees can work remotely
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Square Risk team works to protect our customers and Square from financial risk coming from Fraud, Payment Disputes, and Credit. We keep our customers safe while $160B+ flows through Square annually, and we allow the entire company to take risks and grow. We take pride in our work and our mission to protect Square, protect our customers, and make a complicated and sometimes painful process understandable to all.
We are looking for a Technical Program Manager to lead cross-team initiatives focused on our payment and card issuing disputes strategies. You will be a strategic partner across product, engineering, machine learning, policy and operations to support our sellers from and during card disputes.
- Partner closely with product, machine learning, data science, engineering, policy, and operation teams to plan and execute multi-team and multi-stakeholder programs and initiatives.
- Use your understanding of risk and program management to identify dependencies, critical path / "long poles," blockers, and key execution risks and develop actionable mitigation strategies.
- Periodically review and communicate key metrics, developments, updates, project health and problems, and manage expectations of all stakeholders, both technical and non-technical across Square and Cash.
- Align and partner with cross-functional stakeholders across Risk and beyond, understanding ambiguous problems/dependencies, and partnering with Product on requirements and solutions
- Manage complex technical programs and the team’s roadmap to drive the goals of Disputes forward, ensuring implementation
- Become subject matter expert within Disputes to interface with partners across the org
- Technical Program Management or equivalent management experience in a mid- to large-sized company running complex programs with multiple stakeholders for at least 5 years.
- Experience delivering complex projects that involve cross functional contributors on-time and within expected results.
- Experience building sustainable, repeatable processes to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Firm grasp of software development lifecycles and agile methodologies best practices.
- Experience understanding high-level software and machine learning capabilities.
- Ability to drive clarity from ambiguity and break down complex projects into manageable, interdependent deliverables.
- The ability to understand and deal well with rapid development cycles and to remain flexible in the face of uncertainty.
- Demonstrated experience managing trade-offs given specific constraints.
- Excellent communication, organizational and leadership skills; ability to inspire team members.
- [Bonus] Experience in risk, fraud or other risk related problem spaces; experience in new market entry or with global teams
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.