Digital Group Creative Director, CPOS
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Square Point of Sale & Customer Products (CPOS) is looking for an experienced, people-first Group Creative Director to lead our in-house creative team. You will manage our versatile creative team spanning Art Direction, Design, Copywriting, Studio Production, and Design Technology. You will work with partners across product marketing, data analytics, photo production, and global brand to define our vision, team, and go-to-market strategy. You will guide our creative team to turn complex problems into solutions, and help the team find meaningful ways to bring stories to life.
This is a hands-on leadership role to set the Creative Direction for many of Square's iconic products: Point of Sale, Virtual Terminal, Customer Directory, Invoices, Marketing, Loyalty, House Accounts, and Gift Cards.
You will lead our creative team to understand audiences and harness trends and tactics. You will define and refine the Creative work, collaborate to define positioning, and craft messaging that resonates with our audiences. You'll be asked to connect dots, bring structure to generative thinking, and develop strategies to exceed our goals and our Sellers' expectations.
- Support and grow our full-stack in-house creative team of specialists, from Art Directors and Writers to Visual Designers, Interaction Designers, Production Designers, Motion Designers, and Design Technologists.
- Motivate the team to pursue compelling concepts, and maintain quality across products and deliverables
- Oversee and, when needed, lean in to hone concepts, design style-frames, and craft visuals.
- Create procedures and refine processes to ensure all production is consistent across channels.
- Translate brand strategy into powerful and purposeful creative concepts.
- Inspire the team and provide the vision for our next generation of outstanding art direction, photography direction, videography direction, design, typography, and branding application direction.
- Use customer and industry data to inspire concepts, refine concepts, and validate creative programs.
- Partner with stakeholders to determine which customers to reach and create the overarching strategy, channels, and tone to best reach them.
- Work with producers, project managers, and program managers to develop project plans and ensure project progress and high-quality work are delivered.
- Work with program managers and product marketing leads to develop quarterly creative roadmaps and contribute to annual planning.
- Ensure quality and effectiveness of the team's work, which requires building a safe, inclusive culture that motivates teams to achieve creative excellence.
- You will report to the Head of Design and Creative for CPOS.
- 10+ years of relevant experience, 5+ in a management role
- Experience coaching a team of specialists with tailored goals
- Understanding of industry trends and today's creative landscape—how users engage with content, and trends within the marketing
- Familiarity with new and traditional brand channels / media
- Advanced presentation, storytelling, and visual design skills
- Experience translating data and insights into creative strategies in meaningful ways
- A portfolio that showcases applicable work experiencel
- Experience partnering with external agencies.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone C: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone D: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.