Senior Copywriter, Square for Retail
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Square's Retail Creative team is looking for a Senior Copywriter to join our multidisciplinary creative team. You will work with the Creative Director, Art Directors, designers, writers, design technologists, and program managers to build creative solutions that help retail businesses see the value of Square's ecosystem, which runs on our hero product, Retail POS. Square has a large presence with retailers, but it is our job as a creative team to help the business continue to expand through more targeted marketing, growth of current customers, and expanding into new markets.
We work with Product Marketers and other stakeholders to deliver full funnel marketing—from awareness campaigns including video, web, digital marketing, social, etc., to product launches, email upsell campaigns, sales enablement materials, new market expansions, and more. The goal is that we are the resident experts on how to resonate with sellers in relevant retail industries ("sellers" is what we call our customers/users).
In the Senior Copywriter role, you'll have an opportunity to lead in defining our messaging and positioning, and carve a clear strategic path for creative work being delivered across our team. You will be looked to as a concept driver, storyteller, and copywriter on larger scale projects, and as a mentor on smaller scale projects. You will be a senior presence in brainstorms and stakeholder meetings, but you will also execute the copy. This means you'll contribute interesting and inspiring headlines, effective and simple body copy, and scripts that bring videos to life. Your collaboration and strategic creativity will lift the team around you.
- Contribute to overall team vision, roadmaps, ideation, and creative strategy
- Write resonant copy alongside other creatives and writers developing web pages, guides, presentations, sales and events materials, email campaigns, search ads, overview videos, and tutorial videos, in addition to fully integrated campaigns and product launches
- Develop strategically-sound solutions that go beyond the brief, then pitch those ideas in a compelling way that gets support from non-creatives
- Use customer and data insights to establish a clear point of view and distinct angle for Square for Retail
- Collaborate with an experienced group of copywriters, designers, technologists, engineers, and product managers
- Collaborate across the Square organization to provide a consistent, integrated customer experience
- Distill complex subject matter into simple, straightforward language that anyone can understand
- 8+ years of copywriting experience; ideal background includes B2B tech experience, whether in-house or at an agency
- A portfolio that displays a relevant mix of project types
- Experience mentoring copywriters/creatives, or some experience as a manager
- Collaboration skills—someone who loves to brainstorm and problem solve with others
- Excellent grammar, writing, and proofreading skills
- The ability to explain complicated products and processes in simple, human ways to both businesses and consumers
- Experience writing compelling copy on a wide range of deliverables—from digital and social ads to product tutorials, sales materials, web pages, blog posts, and integrated campaigns
- Experience with performance-based marketing strategies
- Ability to foster culture and cohesiveness for copywriters across multiple focus areas
Learn more about the creative team at Square.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.