Senior Platform Data Engineer
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
As a platform data engineer on the Data Engineering team, you will be responsible for working on a variety of data projects. This includes orchestrating data pipelines, developing and maintaining the cloud data platform vital to the continued growth of Block. You will also collaborate with many teams across Block to understand data needs and surface those data on the data platform, monitor and maintain its quality and governance, and have an impact on the data ecosystem within Block.
- Creates robust and automated pipelines to ingest and process data from source systems into cloud data analytical warehouse using batch and streaming mechanisms leveraging cloud native toolset
- Interacts closely with business users, data producers, various infrastructure and operations teams to build, enhance and maintain our data platform and infrastructure
- Helps build, modernize, and maintain services and tooling to ensure resiliency and quality, resolve data discrepancies, and enhance the customer experience
- Engineers and supports data structures, access control, governance and SOX compliance on Snowflake data warehouse
- Be self-driven in identifying gaps and root causes, designing and implementing solutions to stabilize and scale data solutions
- Monitor daily execution, diagnose and log issues, and fix pipelines to ensure SLAs are met with internal stakeholders
- Provide leadership and guidance for data engineering design across multiple initiatives and functional areas. Mentor other engineers and help them grow; code reviews, guidance on best practices, leveraging your experience in the field
- Bachelors degree with 5+ years of experience in data, infrastructure and platform engineering; OR 9+ years of experience in data, infrastructure and platform engineering
- Experience orchestrating data pipelines and designing database systems and scalable data models
- Proficient in Python and SQL
- Experience with Airflow, Prefect and Looker
- Experience with cloud environments, such as AWS and GCP
- Experience modeling, designing and administering modern data infrastructures, data lake, and cloud data warehouse (Snowflake preferred).
- Experience with container deployment platforms and tools, such as Kubernetes, Docker, Helm, and Terraform.
- Proficient in Ruby programming.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.