Strategic Partner Lead, Payments: Afterpay & Cash App
- New York, NY, United States
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
The Global Payments Partnerships team leads commercialization and business development for Cash App and Afterpay’s payments products. Our ambitious team develops go-to-market strategy for our commercial products, builds effective relationships with the largest players in the payments, finance, and technology industries, and drives critical results across the business. We are looking for an experienced partnerships manager to own our relationships with a select list of our biggest and most strategically important partners.
The Strategic Partner Manager will work closely with our executive leadership team to manage and grow existing partnerships that represent the biggest upside opportunities for our business globally.
You’ll partner directly with leaders at both Afterpay and Cash App across Product Development, Sales, Account Management, Marketing, Finance, Risk, Legal and Engineering. You’ll drive a global strategy for your partners and execute on that strategy in conjunction with cross-functional colleagues. You will own primary responsibility for the performance of your partners, innovate at the cutting edge of payments, and deliver revenue that will have a massive impact on our core business.
The ideal candidate will have an understanding of the economics of the payments space and deep knowledge of the payments ecosystem. This individual should also have an understanding of what will be needed to properly resource a partner strategy, and work with stakeholders to develop a plan for ensuring the success of a partner. A deep sense of ownership, drive, and entrepreneurship is essential.
- Develop strategy: Create and implement an overarching plan and strategy for maximizing the effectiveness of a partnership, in terms of driving profitable business impact and product distribution at scale.
- Build relationships: Establish strong rapport with partners at every level (executive to working groups, across functions) to influence their decision-making and advance our goals.
- Design scalable programs: Build and project manager a partnership program that both achieves our goals and meets our partners’ objectives, scaling across internal and external teams and across global regions.
- Commercialize payment products: Lead commercialization of new products by refining and executing our channel partner distribution strategy. Lead end-to-end partner negotiations to deliver maximum distribution of our payments products, including upsell and cross-sell of new products and features.
- Lead cross-functional initiatives: Establish yourself as the go-to commercial voice for our partnership strategy and most strategic partners. Provide critical market feedback to improve our product. Drive efficiencies and improvements that accelerate business impact.
- 9+ years of business development or partner management experience, preferably at an innovative payments company.
- A demonstrated track record of success managing channel partnership programs, ideally in payments or fintech.
- Proven ability to build C-suite relationships and navigate external organizations both to identify internal champions and to influence decision makers. You are an expert negotiator with a strong understanding of commercial contracts and complex negotiating dynamics that may be simultaneously cooperative and competitive.
- A hunger to tackle complicated and impactful business problems.
- Sharp problem solving and communication skills. You’re a killer sales person and strategic thinker who comes armed to internal and external conversations with the right data and analysis to make a convincing argument.
- Deep comfort operating in the ambiguity of an ever-evolving product that operates at scale globally.
- A scrappy and humble mindset to work autonomously. You roll up your sleeves to get things done.
- Willingness to travel (primarily domestically but sometimes internationally) for both internal and external meetings.
- BS/BA required; MBA or Masters degree a plus
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.