Staff Engineer (Server), Square Appointments
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square Appointments helps service professionals manage their calendar on the go. With Square’s online scheduling software, customers can always get access to their availability and confirm their appointments seamlessly online. Our merchants can easily keep their schedules open and attract new business—even when they're done for the day.
Our server team owns the backend that powers all of Square Appointments and includes the public Bookings API. You will help ship complex new features that meet our sellers and developers needs, crossing team and service boundaries. As a leader within the backend engineering team, you will help shape our architecture and engineering strategy. Additionally, you will help ensure that our software infrastructure can scale appropriately to support the growing Appointments’ customer base.
- Work closely with other senior engineers, product managers and teams to design and build world-class product experiences
- Maintain a high degree of situational awareness across teams and projects to identify the highest priorities and mitigate key risks
- Help set direction and vision for the backend architecture, and influence our organization’s engineering strategy
- Think on the time scale of years but act on the time scale of weeks and quarters
- Leverage architecture patterns and cloud technologies to ensure our backend infrastructure is able to perform at scale
- Lead and empower an outstanding team of backend engineers by mentoring individuals, promoting pragmatic engineering decision-making, and leveraging your technical expertise to constantly raise the quality of design decisions and implementation
- 10+ years of experience in building and releasing software
- Experience leading engineering designs with large scale impact that succeed long term
- Experience collaborating with product managers, designers, data scientists, and other engineering and cross-functional leaders
- Interest in working on backend systems, from APIs and business logic to optimizing databases and software engines
- Interest in modeling complex domains and building resilient systems to support high-throughput real world applications
- Highly proficient in at least one server-side programming languages (e.g. Ruby, Java)
- Knowledge of cloud concepts and systems (e.g. AWS, GCP)
Languages and technologies we use and teach:
- Languages: Ruby, Java
- Frameworks: Rails, RSpec, Sidekiq, gRPC, Guice
- Infrastructure: MySQL, Redis, Kafka
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.