Senior Software Engineer, Merchant Engineering (SMB)
- San Francisco, WA, United States
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
Afterpay has an exciting opportunity as a Backend Engineer to join our Merchant Engineering Team. You have the opportunity to make an immediate impact on our products that are crucial to the customer’s success. As a Software Engineer on the team you'll be responsible for designing, building, extending and maintaining Merchant APIs, Payment Gateways, Authentication systems and data pipelines within the Merchant domain. You will also contribute to collaborative projects across the wider Afterpay<>Square<>Cash ecosystem.
We are working on expanding our payment network to new merchants, improve merchant experience and increase Afterpay as a payment method adoption on various ecommerce platforms.
If you enjoy backend focused engineering then this team will be perfect for you.
- Scope, build and enhance systems & services using Kotlin, Java and related open source technologies.
- Be responsible for designing, building, and owning highly available services that manage Afterpay’s merchant systems.
- Own features and functions throughout their lifecycle from inception, rollout, launch, scale and iteration.
- Work on cross functional initiatives across Square and Cash ecosystems.
- BA/MS/PhD in Computer Science or a related field
- A demonstrable and strong track record of building highly scalable, performant and resilient software systems
- Experienced in building and maintaining applications that utilize modern programming languages like Kotlin, Java, Typescript
- Ideally has experience working or can quickly pickup technologies such as Postgres, Kafka, Redis, DynamoDB
- Possess an execution mindset and the ability to deliver with cross-functional teams that are globally distributed
- Great communication skills, able to discuss engineering trade-offs without hesitation
- Experience with functional programming languages such as Elixir
- Experience working on security features such as authentication or authorization
Technologies we use:
- Java, Kotlin, Typescript, Elixir
- Spring Boot, Node
- Postgres, DynamoDB, Kafka, SQS
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.