Machine Learning Data Scientist
Join a movement in which everyone can win. We started a movement in which everyone can win – shoppers, retailers, society and every person on our team. To play fair, trust people and reward them for doing the right thing. We see and feel the impact of our work as more and more people gain financial freedom and retailers grow across the globe.
Founded seven years ago in Sydney, Australia, Afterpay has millions of active customers globally and is offered at the world’s best retailers around the world including Anthropologie, Revolve, DSW, GOAT, Finish Line, Levi’s, Mac Cosmetics, Ray-Ban and many others. Afterpay is on a mission to power an economy in which everyone wins.
Afterpay is completely free for customers who pay on time – helping people spend responsibly without incurring interest, fees or extended debt. Afterpay empowers customers to access the things they want and need, while still allowing them to maintain financial wellness and control, by splitting payments in four, for both online and in-store purchases. Afterpay is deeply committed to delivering positive outcomes for customers. We are focused on supporting our community of shoppers.
We trust in the next generation and share a vision of a more accessible and sustainable world in which people are rewarded for doing the right thing.
Roles & Responsibilities
• Work cross functionally with stakeholders, analytics, and engineering partners to improve our existing systems, collaborate in all technical aspects of development, including technical requirements definition, design, implementation, unit testing, and integration;
• Take end to end ownership of Machine Learning systems - from evaluating potential solutions, building features and samples, implementing models, define evaluation metrics, data pipelines and training, to real time predictions;
• Identify new opportunities for personalization to apply Machine Learning to different domains of our consumer products including our Shopping, Engagement, Ads, In-store, Checkout etc.
Who are you? (Qualifications)
Like us, you’ll be deeply committed to delivering positive outcomes for customers and passionate about shaping the future of Block. You like to keep it real with your actions, be brave with your decisions, do the right thing for all our stakeholders and shape the future with excitement.
• 5+ years of hands-on experience developing machine learning models at scale from inception to business impact;
• Proven ability to tailor machine learning solutions to business problems in a cross-functional team.
• Strong machine learning programming skills (Python, R, and SQL preferred);
• Quantitative background in computer science, statistics, math, or related disciplines;
• Familiar with deep learning models such as Wide-and-deep, DCN, Attention, and various embeddings;
• Experience building and architecting large-scale, production quality systems, especially in one of the following directions:Recommendation systems, Search, Advertising, or NLP, Knowledge graph;
• Familiar with problems such as cold-start, debiasing, transfer-learning, multi-task learning, recommendation platform implementation, and reinforcement learning;
• Experience with scalable ML data platform (dataset management, feature engineering etc.), ML Frameworks (TensorFlow, Pytorch etc.) development; Experience with building data products, either internal or consumer-facing a plus;
• Experience in managing, mentoring, and coaching other engineers a plus;
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.