Senior Software Engineer, Merchant Engineering (Enterprise)
- Seattle, WA, United States
- Employees can work remotely
Join a movement in which everyone can win. We started a movement in which everyone can win – shoppers, retailers, society and every person on our team. To play fair, trust people and reward them for doing the right thing. We see and feel the impact of our work as more and more people gain financial freedom and retailers grow across the globe.
Founded seven years ago in Sydney, Australia, Afterpay has millions of active customers globally and is offered at the world’s best retailers around the world including Anthropologie, Revolve, DSW, GOAT, Finish Line, Levi’s, Mac Cosmetics, Ray-Ban and many others. Afterpay is on a mission to power an economy in which everyone wins.
Afterpay is completely free for customers who pay on time – helping people spend responsibly without incurring interest, fees or extended debt. Afterpay empowers customers to access the things they want and need, while still allowing them to maintain financial wellness and control, by splitting payments in four, for both online and in-store purchases. Afterpay is deeply committed to delivering positive outcomes for customers. We are focused on supporting our community of shoppers.
We trust in the next generation and share a vision of a more accessible and sustainable world in which people are rewarded for doing the right thing.
As Square expands it's business from supporting small to midsize businesses (SMBs) to large enterprise merchants after acquiring Afterpay. The focus of our team is to expand and build innovative payment solutions for large enterprise merchants. Enterprise merchants benefit from our solutions to expand their customer base, increase sales conversion and more.
As a Software Engineer on the Enterprise Merchant team, you will help invent, design, build, and maintain merchant-centric payment products that large merchants will use on their websites as well as in their physical stores. You will also contribute to collaborative projects across the wider Afterpay<>Square<>Cash ecosystem. Lastly, you will be deeply involved in the technical details of building highly available and reliable services in the merchant domain, while also working with product teams to help Square to rapidly build new capabilities for enterprise merchants all over the world.
- Expand and maintain our Enterprise Merchant products, which provide innovative payment solutions for large merchants.
- Integrate with other enterprise merchant payment solutions, serving as a payment provider.
- Build systems to integrate large merchants with the Cash App and Square ecosystem.
- Design and implement high-volume, low-latency, distributed transaction processing systems.
- Mentor other engineers and contribute to the direction of the team
- Work with our product, business, and finance teams to develop Square's global enterprise merchant strategy
- Understanding and curiosity in creating highly available, scalable, low-latency, global systems to reliably move billions of dollars
- Experience with and an understanding of how to successfully work on complex projects, breaking down the work into components and milestones that can easily be picked up by other engineers
- Interest in changing the payments landscape in the US and globally
- Bachelor's degree and 5+ years of software development experience in Java, Go or similar
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $144,500 - USD $176,700
Zone C: USD $136,900 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $129,300 - USD $158,100
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.