- Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Afterpay is transforming the way we pay by allowing customers to buy products immediately and pay for their purchases over four installments. The service is completely free⁵ for customers who pay on time - helping people spend responsibly. As of December 31, 2021, Afterpay is offered by more than 122,000 of the world’s favorite retailers and more than 19 million active customers have adopted the service.
Afterpay is currently available in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United States and the United Kingdom, France, Italy and Spain, where it is known as Clearpay. Afterpay is on a mission to power an economy in which everyone wins. Afterpay is a wholly owned subsidiary of Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ).
Afterpay has exciting opportunities for Backend Engineers to join our Risk & Data Engineering Team and make an immediate impact on our product that is crucial to our company’s success. As a Backend Software Engineer you will impact many aspects of our business through architecting our core risk systems.
The Backend Software Engineer will influence many aspects of our business through architecting our core risk systems. This is an exciting opportunity to make a direct, tangible impact on our product and work on projects that are pivotal to our team’s success and our company’s growth.
- BA/MS/PhD in Computer Science or a related field
- 3y+ working experience, experienced in building and maintaining applications that utilize a modern programming languages and technologies such as Java, Python, Kafka, Redis, and Cassandra & architecting large scale distributed system
- Enthusiastic about solving business problems with technology and can take ownership of an end-to-end solution
- Possess an execution mindset and the ability to deliver with cross-functional teams that are globally distributed
- Serious about testing and have experience with automated testing frameworks
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Responsible for designing, building, and owning the services and infrastructure that manages Afterpay’s financial risk
- You will build web applications, design highly available services, and work with complex distributed systems
- Collaborate with product managers, data analysts, data scientists on planning and implementing frictionless user experiences
- Demonstrate rigor in high code quality, good test coverage and other engineering best practices
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.