Creative Director, Brand Marketing
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square is looking for a Creative Director to lead a multidisciplinary team focused on growing the perception of Square's brand by understanding our business and translating that into inspiring, aspirational, and motivational stories. You will guide internal team members and agency partners on campaigns, special projects, and brand experiences across a variety of channels, communities, and locales. Our team works to build awareness and increase the perception that Square is for all types and sizes of businesses and increase the use of Square's ecosystem of products.
As a part of our broader Marketing organization, you will report to the Group Creative Director of Brand Creative. You will partner with Creative Leaders, Brand Marketing, Product, Design Technology, Production, and Ops teams. You get excited at the idea of building and leading a team of full-time and contract employees, including art directors, designers, and copywriters. You will have managed and inspired creative teams at an agency or within an internal client-side team. Importantly, you will continue to build upon a culture that motivates this team to deliver creative excellence across several mediums.
For us, creative direction isn't just a discipline—it's an understanding of how to develop relationships, have a perspective but know when to step back and listen, and when to lean in and act. You are conceptual, strategic, kind, passionate, and connected in the creative industry. You can share and sell ideas, and you can encourage, uplift, and teach others to do the same.
- Contribute to the creative strategy, visual language, voice, and personality of Square marketing creative, with a focus on awareness and integrated campaign work
- Manage a decentralized team of creatives
- Lead teams to deliver outstanding art direction, photography direction, videography direction, design, typography and campaign systems
- Partner with Brand and International Marketing teams to develop strategies and deliver the best creative concepts and assets
- Use customer and data insights to inspire market-specific creative concepts
- Identify creative opportunities by understanding our audience, the competitive landscape, and industry trends to help differentiate us from competitors in the FinTech space
- Help share best practices and lead collaboration across the Creative community at Square
- Manage overall quality of creative output and protect the integrity and expression of the Square brand
- Guide creative strategies, project roadmaps, and programs forward
- Allocate creative resources and monitor project milestones and deliverables
- Establish an environment that promotes creative brainstorming, innovation, and risk-taking
- 8+ years experience in a creative role, including three or more years leading a creative team (as this role will have direct report responsibilities)
- Experience managing and collaborating with internal and external teams, including creative agencies
- Built partnership with world class agencies, freelancers, and vendors
- Experience developing scalable campaign platforms
- Storytelling capabilities across several formats
- Experience defining, building, and differentiating brands and sub-brands
- Experience leading the development of integrated marketing campaigns
- Experience with awareness and brand-based marketing strategies and trends in culture and the creative industry
- Experience recruiting, motivating, inspiring, and leading a team of accomplished creatives
- Curiosity for technology and the future evolution of content creation, production, and distribution
- Familiarity with new and traditional brand channels and media
- Willingness to travel
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $184,100 - USD $225,000
Zone B: USD $174,900 - USD $213,700
Zone C: USD $165,700 - USD $202,500
Zone D: USD $156,400 - USD $191,200
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.