Senior Full Stack Engineer - Ruby on Rails
Block believes in the importance of well thought design and it's built into the core strategy for our external products. This mission of perfection extends to its internal products as well. We believe in the importance of thoughtful design and elegant experiences for our employees just as we do for our customers.
We want a Senior Software Engineer to help build these experiences and brighten the lives of their coworkers. Finding info about your coworkers, viewing the org chart, registering a guest, watching a company event — at Block, these components are part of a powerful employee experience that can leave a lasting impression on the talented people we work with. This new Senior Software Engineer can help make that happen by holding our internal software to the same high standards that we produce externally.
- Work closely with the EXE team customers to understand design concepts and feature requirements.
- Develop new features that help Squares navigate the employee experience and quickly connect with other Squares.
- Provide technical leadership and oversight to the team.
- Participate in product definition and road map decisions.
- Integrate our technology with third-party APIs and other Square systems.
- Have the opportunity to explore and build features across the entire technical stack, from the database all the way to the clients.
- Be given opportunities to stretch yourself by learning new technologies and take on bigger responsibilities.
- 5+ years of experience developing production software
- Full stack development experience and web development
- Ruby on Rails and/or REACT
- Experience working with relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Strong knowledge of CS fundamentals and code organization best practices
- A strong sense of customer empathy and desire to influence the product direction
Bonus points if:
- You have experience building infrastructures
- Experience working with internal stakeholders and products
- You have experience integrating with external APIs
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.